This is one of Luc's favourite recipes. He makes it a few times a month and the leftovers don't last long.
If you like pizza, you'll like Luc's version. The only real difference is instead of a crust, we use shredded turkey or chicken breast meat.
Here's how you make the meatzza:
- 1 whole chicken or turkey (you can also cook 4 chicken breasts or 2 turkey breasts in the oven (20 and 30 mins respectively at 350F)
- 1 pepperoni stick
- 1 package of ground hot italian sausage
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large onion
- 2 handfuls of mushrooms
- 1 handful of olives
- 1/2-dozen artichoke hearts
- 1/2 package of frozen shredded spinach, thawed
- 1 package or mozzarella or goat cheese
- ...and any other ingredient you fancy adding to your meatzza.
- The day before, cook a whole turkey or chicken in the slow cooker (it's easier than worrying about it in the oven and it's tastier too). We like to let it cook on low heat for 6hrs.
- Separate the white and dark meat. And hey, why not have the dark meat for dinner that evening?
- Shred the while meat with a fork or with your hands and set aside.
- On meatzza day: Chop the onion and mushrooms.
- Cook the ground sausage in a skillet at the same time as you prepare the veggies. When cooked, transfer to the meatzza and sauté the mushrooms and onion in the same, now hot, skillet.
- Turn on oven to 350F.
- Chop/slice your pepperoni (fine), peppers, spinach, olives and any other veggies.
- Grate your cheese(s) using the fine setting.
- Grease two square oven pans and cover them completely with the shredded white meat (1/4" or so), ground sausage, pepperoni, then veggies, mushroom/onion mixture and top with your selected cheeses.
- Given only the pepperoni and some veggies are uncooked at this point, your meatzza will be ready in about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy the fruits of your labour and see if you have any leftovers. Not likely...